Saturday, September 22, 2007

Channeling Chåvez

While researching hunger issues in the Rio Grandé valley, where I did volunteer work in the migrant camps, or "Colonias" (a Spanish term for neighborhood or community) several years ago, I came across a writing by César Chåvez, which I found empowering. I hesitate to adopt his description of this as a "Prayer" because it speaks more universally when not taken in a religious context, so let's just call it an "inspired" piece of prose:

Show me the suffering of the most miserable;
So that I will know my people's plight.

Help me take responsibility for my own life;
So that I can be free at last.

Grant me courage to serve others;
For in service there is true life.

Give me honesty and patience;
So that I can work with other workers

Bring forth song and celebration;
So that we will never tire of the struggle.

Let us remember those who have died for justice;
For they have given us life.

Help us love even those who hate us;
So we can change the world.

No comments: